Applies to: Microsoft SQL Server 2005Download SQL Server 2005 SP3.
Please download SQL Server 2005 SP3 from here.
- After SQL Server 2005 SP3 has been applied, it cannot be removed without uninstalling SQL Server 2005 completely.- Test it on a test environment.- Contact vendors of third-party software using your database server and get their approval.
Requirements.- Use windows authentication instead of SQL Server Authentication when applying SP3.-
The windows account used to run the SP3 setup program must have administrator privileges on the computer where SP3 will be installed.-
Disk space needed for the installation:
50 MB - SQL Server installation directory1 GB - System driveAt least 500 KB of free space on system databases (better if you set autogrow on)
600 MB - Temp Directory334 MB - SP3 package. Remove it after applying SP3
Backup system databases.-
Backup user databases.-
Back up your Analysis Services databases, configuration file, and repository.-
Pause mirroring.- Enable named pipes on your SQL Server 2005 server.-
Disable DDL Triggers.-
Verify that SQL Server 2005 Service Accounts are not disabled.-
Resources that have dependencies on SQL Server resources must be removed or taken offline prior applying SP3 .-
Stop all applications and services that make connections to the instance being upgraded. You cannot stop services in a failover cluster environment.
In case of a failover cluster environment, configure Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator on the cluster.
Also, verify the following services are running on both nodes:
- Task Scheduler
- Com+ System Application Service
- Cryptographic Services
- Remote Registry Service
In case of a failover cluster environment, please consider the following:
- Do not stop the cluster service during installation or before applying SP3.
- Do not stop any running processes before running SP3 Setup.
Normal (non-clustered) installation:
- To install SQL Server 2005 SP3, run the self-extracting package file. Run SP3 Setup.
- After applying SP3, install cumulative update package 1 for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3
Installing SP3 on a failover cluster environment:
- Run SP3 Setup on the active node.
- After applying SP3, install cumulative update package 1 for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 on the active node.
- Restart each node of the cluster.
- Restart services that have dependencies on SQL Server.
- Verify proper operation of client applications.
- Backup system databases after successful installation.